Monday, March 12, 2012

A Scrap-tastic Fabric Cuff - a quick & easy project!


This is such a quick and fun project!  And great for that growing pile of scraps under my sewing table!

It's also a great way to practice my quilting skills.  I decided I should work on that a bit before I dive into my first quilt.  Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions for layout.  Once I make a decision, I'll give you a peek!

For this scrap-tastic fabric cuff, you need various scrap pieces that are of similar size.  These are scraps from Melissa's beach wedding totes and wristlets designed by Anna

Sew them together with a plan (or without).  Press your seams open.  Trim it to your wrist circumference + an inch for seam allowances and overlap. 


 Cut another piece of fabric for the back (the part that'll touch your skin).  I chose a fine wale corduroy that has a nice soft touch.


Sew the two pieces RST (right sides together) leaving a 1 1/2 inch opening for turning.  I left my opening on one of the long edges to avoid a mess at the corners.


Press again.  Top stitch.  I wanted mine to have a quilted look, so I top stitched each section.  You can do it how ever you'd like!


Lastly, use a snap plier set (got mine at JoAnn's for $10 or so using a 50% off coupon, of course) to install a simple snap.  I only put one on this cuff (I used a white one, so it's a bit hard to see in the pic below); it would look cool with two snaps placed side-by-side as well.




The finished cuff is just shy of 9" in length and about 1 3/4" in width.  I had about an inch of excess past where I placed my snap.  But I've been told I have freakishly small wrists.  Bear in mind my wee-bitty wrists when you are planning your scrap-tastic fabric cuff. :)


There you have it!  Go use up those scraps!  I have a couple nieces who'll love these for their birthday next month!


Pin It

linking here, here, here, and other parties on the "Party On" tab.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...